Point-to-point connection with low latencies via the internet
with Haivision Makito X Encoder and SRT decoding
The bar for success in live content contribution is high today – and cost is always on the agenda. Finding a reliable alternative – especially to the cost-intensive satellite transmissions – has been a declared goal of G&L for a long time. Now the time has finally come: with our affiliation to the SRT Alliance and the integration of Haivision encoders into our portfolio, we offer an expanded portfolio with flexible contribution options for our customers.
SRT – de-facto standard for internet attribution
The open source protocol SRT – for: Secure Reliable Transport – enables delay-free and stabilised video transmission over the public internet. By joining the SRT Alliance, we support the recognition of this open source protocol as the "de facto standard" for the contribution of video signals via the internet. As a result, we are now integrating SRT building blocks into individual solutions for our customers who strategically set up and distribute video attribution via internet streaming for users.
SRT solutions: e.g. sports events via internet as an alternative to satellite broadcasting
With the new SRT-based contribution solutions, we achieve a stabilisation of data transport to the cloud as well as to data centres for our customers. For example, the SRT protocol makes it possible to transmit a sporting event from the USA to Germany – via the previously rather latency-prone public internet.
These SRT solutions can be used by customers both as a full-service offer including support and as a stand-alone rental solution for the corresponding Haivision hardware.
The new solutions for the contribution of content via the internet realise:
- cost-reducing alternative: stabilised contribution of video and audio signals via the public internet – as a reliable alternative to cost-intensive satellite transmissions
- secure routing: signals can be flexibly and reliably routed between multiple senders and receivers – worldwide
- optimised "first mile": with interference contained in the "first mile" between the signal source and the cloud workflow, which could negatively affect all downstream processes
- More flexibility: with the option to combine reliable dedicated lines with public internet contribution
Haivision Makito X encoders and decoders over SRT enable point-to-point connections over the internet with low latencies, freely definable ports and are "firewall friendly" due to the caller listener principle.
Further technical details:
- Low latency: 4-fold roundtrip time – 100 ms possible
- Secure streams: End-to-end 128/256 bit AES encryption
- Encoding H.264: bit rate of the stream can be adjusted on the fly
- Input/Output: HD-SDI and Talk Back function
Functionality of the Haivision hardware:
About the SRT Alliance
Their mission: to overcome the challenges of low-latency internet-based video streaming – and change the world of video streaming.
Their basis: supporting a truly free, open-source protocol for video transmission that accelerates innovation through collective development. The SRT Alliance will work to ensure that the SRT protocol for all delay-free internet streaming is recognised industry-wide and becomes the common standard.